Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Fyn Rundt

On Sunday we raced the oldest race in Denmark and one of the oldest in Europe, the 210km Tour of Fyn (one of the Danish islands). The race was a flat and fast start and a big break went in the first 10km of about 20 riders. We had two riders so we decided to sit back and see what happens. Two teams missed out completely though and chased hard so that the gap was staying at about one minute. The roads got a bit narrow and hilly after 70km and Michael Rasmussen attacked on the longest hill taking about 20 riders across to the break. As soon as we got there there were a bunch of attacks and when all was dusted there was a group of 26 riders clear of the peleton and with Berling and I coming from the Rasmussen group and Chris holding on out of the break.

Then not much happened until we hit the four 6km long finishing circuits.

The tactical cat and mouse games started as soon as we reached the circuits. The first group to actually get away had Chris with 5 other riders. That group was hovering about 20 seconds in front us and the gap to the peleton was falling from two minutes to about a minute. I was having a hard time following the attacks since my sprint is even worse then normal at the moment, but I decided to try one of my own and got into another group of 6 that made its way across to the front group. I was still not feeling great so I didn't want to work, I did my best pain face while sitting on the back and no one even asked me to pull through.
Just as soon as we caught the front group another group of seven came across with Rasmussen and some others, but sadly Berling missed out so we were down to just two out of 19 and neither Chris nor I can really sprint. About this time my legs started coming around and I started feeling much better following the attacks. Chris attacked like 6 times in the last 6km but didn't get far any time. I took my time and went just once at one kilometer to go. I got a decent gap but got caught with 350 meters to go and passed by everyone except Rasmussen. Figures that the only rider I beat in the sprint was also the only rider skinnier then me. Chris finished 14th, near the back of the group. Funny thing is that I felt somewhat blocked up until the last 10km, so it took me 125 miles to warm up, that's got to be a new record.

No comments:

Post a Comment