Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I found somewhere as flat as Davis...

... and that place is north west Holland.

We did the Omloop der Kempen, 200km with two overpasses providing the only elevation change. It was warm, sunny, and there was no wind. So it had the makings of a field sprint before the day even started. We were told to keep cool and out of trouble for the first 4o km then think about getting to the front and starting to get into breaks. As it was nothing much went until about 100 km into the race. We got pretty caught out though, the group that went was about 20 guys and we completely missed it. I was the closest to the front when it went, but I was still too far back to follow the right weels to get into it. Once I did get far enough up the gap was already too big for me to go across on my own and no one seemed very keep to work with me to get up to them. But luckily there was a pretty quick responce from the rest of my team as four of us got on the front along with 5 guys from the Sean Kelly team and pulled the group back about 15 km later.

Then another break went with 4 riders, and again we missed it. This one looked pretty doomed from the start though and we weren't too concerned. Sure enough, the group was caught just as we started the two finishing circuits with 22km to go. Lacking a sprinter, we all started attacking but to no avail. There were too many people who wanted to keep the race together. Berling tried to get up in the sprint and was on a decent wheel until 500 meters to go when someone pushed him into a curb going through a roundabout forcing him to unclip and loose a lot of speed. In the end he finished 43rd. I was just behind in 51st. There is not a whole lot that I can do in a field sprint.

Next weekend is the GP Copenhagen, which isn't anywhere that close to Copenhagen, but is supposed to be the hardest one day race in Denmark. It looks like its a legitimately hilly race. I am looking forward, hopefully I still know how to climb after all of this flat racing.

No comments:

Post a Comment