Saturday, May 30, 2009

Well I can't go well every day

Well despite feeling like I have good form, today's race in Silkenbourg was a bit of a disaster. It had a really good field for a local Danish race and it was a bit windy. In the first 35 km two groups of about 8-10 guys attacked the peleton and were pretty clearly gone, we had 3 people up the road and the groups quickly came together. Then a third group of 9 went and I was in it. Riding in the break felt pretty easy, I wasn't having to work too hard to rotate through and after chasing for 30 km we eventually caught the big group up the road. After a brief respite, the attacks started. This is when the day started to go quite sour for me. On the couple of little hills on the lap I started going backwards in the group and eventually missed a big split in the break. Unfortunately, one of my teammates, Ricky, also missed the split and there were a ton of people up the road. So we started to chase. Then another teammate Nicolai, came back from the front split to our group, so we started to chase even harder. Then I took a good pull and suddenly I could not get on the back of the group, we were going about 55 kph in a tailwind and I just could not get on the wheel.

I wasn't going to chase back on my own, so I just had to ride by myself until the peleton caught me. There weren't riding hard and there was not much to do except sit and wait for the finish. Remarkably another group of like 8 guys came back from the breakaway, also clearly destroyed. Then there were a bunch of attacks again for the finish, I tried to chase some down to give Frederick a chance for the sprint. Then they sprinted. I finished somewhere in the middle of the group. C'est la vie.

I think what it was is that I've had a pretty easy week after Fleche du Sud, and my body tends to pretty much shut down on rest weeks. So I think that doing this race will actually make me ride way better in the 1.2 we are doing in Norway on Monday. At least that's what I am telling myself. I had form a week ago, so I don't see why it would suddenly dissapear.

No comments:

Post a Comment