Saturday, May 2, 2009

GP Herning

Today I raced the GP Herning, it got downgraded to a 1.2, but it was still freaking hard. Actually, according to training peaks it was my second hardest day ever in terms of TSS scores (356). The lack of rain in April meant that the gravel roads had the same surface as a rough cross race in Norcal, deep sandy gravel. Honestly, I don't think I really spent more then 20 km in the peleton today. Every time we would hit the gravel I would open up a some gaps trying to keep my bike under control and then I'd have to chase back on the pavement. Eveyone punctured today, myself included. My first one was at a relatively mellow section of the race and I got back pretty safely. The second one happened at a really bad place though. The peleton was coming completely apart on the one gravel section that I pre rode earlier this week and I was just getting on the back of the front group when I flatted at the start of the downhill. The worst part is that it was about 500 meters past where we had a person with some spare wheels, so I had to wait for everyone to go past and get service from the neutral follow car. I was standing there for about a minute but because the peleton has split, Michael could only pace me back up to the second group. We chased hard for a while, but 30 km later we basically all cracked and rode pretty easy the final 60 km to the finish line. However, given the rate of attition our group still finished 24th-31st and we were the last group on the road.

Berling timed his punctures a little better and ended up 4th, but not before having some bike problems that allowed 3 guys from Designa Køkken to ride away with 1st through 3rd. One of these days we are going to win the bike race, we just need the luck to come together a little better.

On a side note, for those of you who were on Cal cycling in spring 2005, you may remember Even Sangnes, a Norwegian exchange student who started racing with Cal that year and ended up going to Nationals with us. Well he was doing the race today as well with a Norwegian Continental team and was pretty shocked to see me in Denmark. But given the hectic nature of the race I didn't really get a chance to talk to him. Maybe tomorrow at the local Danish race in Randers.

No comments:

Post a Comment